Fusilli with Italian Sausage & Arugula
A whole teaspoon of black pepper along with a small amount of Italian turkey sausage deliver a piquant flavor without adding too much in the way of saturated fat and calories in this quick pasta dish. For maximum taste, use a high-quality cheese.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as shells or fusilli
- 4 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups arugula, or baby spinach
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta 8 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, arugula (or spinach) and tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, until the greens wilt and the tomatoes begin to break down, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and keep warm.
- Combine cheese, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Measure out 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid; drain the pasta. Whisk the cooking liquid and oil into the cheese mixture; add the pasta and toss to combine. Serve the pasta topped with the sausage-arugula mixture.
Per serving: 412 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 9 g fiber; 637 mg sodium; 378 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (58% daily value), Vitamin A (36% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Vitamin C (24% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique