Fusilli with Italian Sausage & Arugula
A whole teaspoon of black pepper along with a small amount of Italian turkey sausage deliver a piquant flavor without adding too much in the way of saturated fat and calories in this quick pasta dish. For maximum taste, use a high-quality cheese.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as shells or fusilli
- 4 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups arugula, or baby spinach
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta 8 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, arugula (or spinach) and tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, until the greens wilt and the tomatoes begin to break down, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and keep warm.
- Combine cheese, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Measure out 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid; drain the pasta. Whisk the cooking liquid and oil into the cheese mixture; add the pasta and toss to combine. Serve the pasta topped with the sausage-arugula mixture.
Per serving: 412 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 9 g fiber; 637 mg sodium; 378 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (58% daily value), Vitamin A (36% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Vitamin C (24% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique