Fusilli with Italian Sausage & Arugula
A whole teaspoon of black pepper along with a small amount of Italian turkey sausage deliver a piquant flavor without adding too much in the way of saturated fat and calories in this quick pasta dish. For maximum taste, use a high-quality cheese.
- 4 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as shells or fusilli
- 4 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, removed from casing
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups arugula, or baby spinach
- 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta 8 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in garlic, arugula (or spinach) and tomatoes. Cook, stirring often, until the greens wilt and the tomatoes begin to break down, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and keep warm.
- Combine cheese, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Measure out 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid; drain the pasta. Whisk the cooking liquid and oil into the cheese mixture; add the pasta and toss to combine. Serve the pasta topped with the sausage-arugula mixture.
Per serving: 412 calories; 16 g fat (5 g sat, 4 g mono); 45 mg cholesterol; 48 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 9 g fiber; 637 mg sodium; 378 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (58% daily value), Vitamin A (36% dv), Calcium (26% dv), Vitamin C (24% dv), Iron (20% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Folate (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique