Fusilli with Garden-Fresh Tomato "Sauce"
This easy uncooked sauce is perfect on a hot summer night. You can serve it right away, but it tastes even better if everything marinates for an hour or so. To feed more people, simply add a little more of each ingredient—especially the tomatoes. Halved cherry tomatoes are a nice alternative to field tomatoes.
- 3 cups diced, seeded ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 2 scallions, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fusilli, or other whole-wheat pasta
- Combine tomatoes, bell pepper, scallions, garlic and oil in a large bowl; toss to mix well. Add feta cheese, olives, parsley, basil, balsamic vinegar, wine vinegar and lemon juice; toss again. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Shortly before serving, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to the sauce; toss to coat well.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and let stand at room temperature for up to 1 1/2 hours.
Per serving: 387 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 11 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 272 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less