Fusilli with Garden-Fresh Tomato "Sauce"
This easy uncooked sauce is perfect on a hot summer night. You can serve it right away, but it tastes even better if everything marinates for an hour or so. To feed more people, simply add a little more of each ingredient—especially the tomatoes. Halved cherry tomatoes are a nice alternative to field tomatoes.
- 3 cups diced, seeded ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 2 scallions, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fusilli, or other whole-wheat pasta
- Combine tomatoes, bell pepper, scallions, garlic and oil in a large bowl; toss to mix well. Add feta cheese, olives, parsley, basil, balsamic vinegar, wine vinegar and lemon juice; toss again. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Shortly before serving, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to the sauce; toss to coat well.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and let stand at room temperature for up to 1 1/2 hours.
Per serving: 387 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 11 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 272 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less