Fusilli with Garden-Fresh Tomato "Sauce"
This easy uncooked sauce is perfect on a hot summer night. You can serve it right away, but it tastes even better if everything marinates for an hour or so. To feed more people, simply add a little more of each ingredient—especially the tomatoes. Halved cherry tomatoes are a nice alternative to field tomatoes.
- 3 cups diced, seeded ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 2 scallions, white and pale green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese, (4 ounces)
- 1/2 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fusilli, or other whole-wheat pasta
- Combine tomatoes, bell pepper, scallions, garlic and oil in a large bowl; toss to mix well. Add feta cheese, olives, parsley, basil, balsamic vinegar, wine vinegar and lemon juice; toss again. Season with salt and pepper.
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Shortly before serving, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to the sauce; toss to coat well.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and let stand at room temperature for up to 1 1/2 hours.
Per serving: 387 calories; 17 g fat (5 g sat, 11 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 7 g fiber; 513 mg sodium; 272 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetable, 5 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation