Fusilli with Fennel, Scallops & Pernod
Fennel, lemon and scallops are tossed with fusilli in this quick and healthy supper.
- 1 pound dry sea scallops, tough side muscle removed (see Note)
- 1 fennel bulb
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fusilli, or rotini
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Pernod, or other anise-flavored liqueur
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- If scallops are large, halve or quarter them, depending on size.
- Trim base from fennel bulb; remove and discard stalks at the point where they branch from the bulb. Reserve the bulb and chop 2 tablespoons of the feathery leaves. Cut off and discard any discolored parts of the bulb. Quarter the bulb lengthwise, core and slice thinly crosswise. Set aside.
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced fennel and garlic, and sauté until the fennel is crisp-tender and beginning to color, about 3 minutes. Add the scallops and sauté until opaque in the center, 1 to 2 minutes more. Add Pernod (or other liqueur) and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the scallop mixture, lemon zest and lemon juice; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with the reserved chopped fennel fronds.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops (scallops that have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate, or STP). Scallops that have been treated with STP (“wet” scallops) have been subjected to a chemical bath and are not only mushy and less flavorful, but will not brown properly.
Per serving: 449 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 37 mg cholesterol; 72 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 9 g fiber; 309 mg sodium; 617 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Vitamin C (23% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation