Fudge Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
This is a fudgy cookie for chocolate lovers. The ginger adds a really nice spicy-sweet touch.
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 ounces (about 1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Place bittersweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate and butter in a double boiler (see Tip) over hot water. Heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Mix in flour and baking powder until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and ginger.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the edges are firm and the tops of the cookies lose most of their shine and are set, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- To improvise a double boiler, set a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water. Allow at least an inch between the water and the bottom of the bowl.
Per serving: 89 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 35 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2007