Fudge Chocolate Chip Ginger Cookies
From EatingWell: November/December 2007
This is a fudgy cookie for chocolate lovers. The ginger adds a really nice spicy-sweet touch.
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup white whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 ounces (about 1 cup) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Place bittersweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate and butter in a double boiler (see Tip) over hot water. Heat, stirring frequently, until melted. Remove from heat and stir in sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. Mix in flour and baking powder until combined. Stir in chocolate chips and ginger.
- Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until the edges are firm and the tops of the cookies lose most of their shine and are set, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining batter.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- To improvise a double boiler, set a metal bowl over a pan of simmering water. Allow at least an inch between the water and the bottom of the bowl.
Per serving: 89 calories; 5 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 12 mg sodium; 35 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 2007