From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Your favorite combination of dried fruit makes these fruitcake slices special.
- 2 1/4 cups mixed dried fruit,chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped candied orange, or lemon peel or citron
- 1/4 cup brandy or dark rum
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine dried fruit, candied peel (or citron) and brandy (or rum). Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Whisk together eggs, egg white and vanilla in a small bowl, and add to the flour mixture; mix until almost smooth. Stir in the fruit and brandy mixture.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 3 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake until light golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 42 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 36 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992