From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Your favorite combination of dried fruit makes these fruitcake slices special.
- 2 1/4 cups mixed dried fruit,chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped candied orange, or lemon peel or citron
- 1/4 cup brandy or dark rum
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine dried fruit, candied peel (or citron) and brandy (or rum). Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Whisk together eggs, egg white and vanilla in a small bowl, and add to the flour mixture; mix until almost smooth. Stir in the fruit and brandy mixture.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 3 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake until light golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 42 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 36 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992