From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Your favorite combination of dried fruit makes these fruitcake slices special.
- 2 1/4 cups mixed dried fruit,chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped candied orange, or lemon peel or citron
- 1/4 cup brandy or dark rum
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine dried fruit, candied peel (or citron) and brandy (or rum). Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Whisk together eggs, egg white and vanilla in a small bowl, and add to the flour mixture; mix until almost smooth. Stir in the fruit and brandy mixture.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 3 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake until light golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 42 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 36 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1992