From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Your favorite combination of dried fruit makes these fruitcake slices special.
- 2 1/4 cups mixed dried fruit,chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped candied orange, or lemon peel or citron
- 1/4 cup brandy or dark rum
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine dried fruit, candied peel (or citron) and brandy (or rum). Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Whisk together eggs, egg white and vanilla in a small bowl, and add to the flour mixture; mix until almost smooth. Stir in the fruit and brandy mixture.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 3 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake until light golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 42 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 36 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992