From EatingWell: November/December 1992
Your favorite combination of dried fruit makes these fruitcake slices special.
- 2 1/4 cups mixed dried fruit,chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped candied orange, or lemon peel or citron
- 1/4 cup brandy or dark rum
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Combine dried fruit, candied peel (or citron) and brandy (or rum). Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, brown sugar, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Whisk together eggs, egg white and vanilla in a small bowl, and add to the flour mixture; mix until almost smooth. Stir in the fruit and brandy mixture.
- Working on a floured surface, shape the dough into 3 logs, each about 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place the logs on the prepared baking sheet and bake until firm to the touch, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer the logs to a rack to cool. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°.
- Cut the logs diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and bake until light golden, 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool before storing.
Per biscotti: 42 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 36 mg sodium; 34 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1992