Fruit Puree Fat Replacement
From EatingWell: September 1997
This apple-pear puree works well if you're looking to replace some of the fat in your baked goods.
- 2 medium apples, well washed
- 2 ripe but firm medium pears, well washed
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lecithin granules
- Cut apples and pears into eighths (do not core); place in a heavy medium saucepan. Add water, lemon juice and lecithin and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring and mashing fruit occasionally, until mushy, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Press through a fine sieve (or food mill fitted with a fine grate) into a bowl. (It will have an applesauce-like texture.) Let cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 57 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- September 1997