Fruit Puree Fat Replacement
From EatingWell: September 1997
This apple-pear puree works well if you're looking to replace some of the fat in your baked goods.
- 2 medium apples, well washed
- 2 ripe but firm medium pears, well washed
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lecithin granules
- Cut apples and pears into eighths (do not core); place in a heavy medium saucepan. Add water, lemon juice and lecithin and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring and mashing fruit occasionally, until mushy, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Press through a fine sieve (or food mill fitted with a fine grate) into a bowl. (It will have an applesauce-like texture.) Let cool completely.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.
Per 1/4-cup serving: 57 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 0 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 102 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 fruit
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)
- September 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)