Fruit Compote with Coconut
Get a vitamin-C boost when you toss strawberries, cantaloupe and kiwi are tossed with crystallized ginger and orange juice in this quick compote.
- 1/2 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1 cup cantaloupe balls, or cubes (1/2 cantaloupe)
- 2 kiwis, peeled, cut in half and sliced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweetened shredded coconut, toasted (see Tip)
- Combine strawberries, cantaloupe, kiwis, orange juice, ginger and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir gently. Serve in individual bowls, sprinkled with toasted coconut.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To toast coconut: Place coconut in a small dry skillet and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes or spread in a shallow baking dish and bake at 350°F until light golden and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes.
Per serving: 97 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 17 mg sodium; 335 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (33% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation