Frozen Yogurt Sandwiches
Great for the kids—or the kids at heart—frozen fruit swirled into frozen yogurt and sandwiched between two crisp oatmeal cookies.
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup “quick” rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened fruit, such as cherries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, slightly thawed
- 3 cups nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
- To make cookies: Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar, oil, milk, egg white and vanilla in a mixing bowl until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Add oats, flour, baking soda and cinnamon to the bowl and stir until no traces of dry ingredients remain.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces and form each piece into a ball. Place 8 balls on each prepared baking sheet. Cover each baking sheet with a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper; firmly press each of the balls into a thin 3-inch circle, using a flat-bottomed cup or bowl.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until well-browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make sandwiches: If the pieces of fruit are large, coarsely chop them. Soften frozen yogurt in the microwave at medium-low power for 30 to 60 seconds or at room temperature for 10 to 20 minutes; place in a mixing bowl. Swirl the fruit into the softened frozen yogurt. If the yogurt has become too soft, return it to the freezer to firm up slightly. Scoop about 1/3 cup of frozen yogurt onto a cookie and gently press a second cookie on top. Repeat with the remaining cookies and frozen yogurt. Return the sandwiches to the freezer to firm up.
Per serving: 224 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 170 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation