Frozen Yogurt Sandwiches
Great for the kids—or the kids at heart—frozen fruit swirled into frozen yogurt and sandwiched between two crisp oatmeal cookies.
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup “quick” rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened fruit, such as cherries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, slightly thawed
- 3 cups nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
- To make cookies: Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar, oil, milk, egg white and vanilla in a mixing bowl until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Add oats, flour, baking soda and cinnamon to the bowl and stir until no traces of dry ingredients remain.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces and form each piece into a ball. Place 8 balls on each prepared baking sheet. Cover each baking sheet with a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper; firmly press each of the balls into a thin 3-inch circle, using a flat-bottomed cup or bowl.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until well-browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make sandwiches: If the pieces of fruit are large, coarsely chop them. Soften frozen yogurt in the microwave at medium-low power for 30 to 60 seconds or at room temperature for 10 to 20 minutes; place in a mixing bowl. Swirl the fruit into the softened frozen yogurt. If the yogurt has become too soft, return it to the freezer to firm up slightly. Scoop about 1/3 cup of frozen yogurt onto a cookie and gently press a second cookie on top. Repeat with the remaining cookies and frozen yogurt. Return the sandwiches to the freezer to firm up.
Per serving: 224 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 170 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more