Frozen Yogurt Sandwiches
Great for the kids—or the kids at heart—frozen fruit swirled into frozen yogurt and sandwiched between two crisp oatmeal cookies.
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup “quick” rolled oats
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups frozen unsweetened fruit, such as cherries, blueberries, strawberries, peaches, slightly thawed
- 3 cups nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
- To make cookies: Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Whisk together sugar, oil, milk, egg white and vanilla in a mixing bowl until no lumps of brown sugar remain. Add oats, flour, baking soda and cinnamon to the bowl and stir until no traces of dry ingredients remain.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal pieces and form each piece into a ball. Place 8 balls on each prepared baking sheet. Cover each baking sheet with a piece of plastic wrap or wax paper; firmly press each of the balls into a thin 3-inch circle, using a flat-bottomed cup or bowl.
- Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, until well-browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make sandwiches: If the pieces of fruit are large, coarsely chop them. Soften frozen yogurt in the microwave at medium-low power for 30 to 60 seconds or at room temperature for 10 to 20 minutes; place in a mixing bowl. Swirl the fruit into the softened frozen yogurt. If the yogurt has become too soft, return it to the freezer to firm up slightly. Scoop about 1/3 cup of frozen yogurt onto a cookie and gently press a second cookie on top. Repeat with the remaining cookies and frozen yogurt. Return the sandwiches to the freezer to firm up.
Per serving: 224 calories; 5 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 196 mg sodium; 170 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- 8 or more
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour