Great flavor for a healthy take on the Frito Pie. I added sliced raw jalapenos on top as we like spicy. I love the addition of zucchini; a great way to "hide" something healthy that my picky husband would usually not eat. He never noticed and I never fessed up!
Firehouse Frito Pie
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Classic Frito pie is a pile of Fritos topped with beefy chili and runny cheese often made straight in the chip bag! Our refined and lightened version is fresh-tasting and delicious. A whole 1/2 cup of chili powder gives it plenty of punch, but be sure to use mild chili powder. If you have spicier chili powder, start with 1 to 2 tablespoons and taste as you go. Top with tomato, lettuce and just a little cheese (hold the Whiz, please).
7 Reviews for Firehouse Frito Pie
The recipe is delicious! I'm not sure how the chips are suppose to last 25 minutes in the oven. After about 10 minutes they were done for me. I accidentally grabbed a hot chili powder, so reduced the amount in the recipe, still turned out great.
Loved this chili! 1/2 cup chili powder sounded like alot to me but it was just perfect. I used McCormick's so it wasn't too hot. We used Fritos (sinful!) and all the toppings that were suggested.
We are true Texans.. This was only mildly spivey but it was very easy and fast. We made it with ground turkey and veggie broth. We Lso used 50% cheddar cheese.
We made this using the full 1/2 cup of chili powder (we use Penzey's Medium Hot), and our mouths were on fire (in a good way)! The suggested garnishes made it really tasty.
Keep an eye on the tortilla strips: strips in a dark metal pan took less than half the suggested cooking time, and strips on a light metal pan was done after about 15 minutes.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)