Firehouse Frito Pie
From EatingWell: January/February 2012
Classic Frito pie is a pile of Fritos topped with beefy chili and runny cheese often made straight in the chip bag! Our refined and lightened version is fresh-tasting and delicious. A whole 1/2 cup of chili powder gives it plenty of punch, but be sure to use mild chili powder. If you have spicier chili powder, start with 1 to 2 tablespoons and taste as you go. Top with tomato, lettuce and just a little cheese (hold the Whiz, please).
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large zucchini, shredded
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth or chicken broth
- 16 5- to 6-inch corn tortillas
- Cooking spray, preferably canola oil
- 2 15-ounce cans red kidney beans, rinsed, divided
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Jack cheese or sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced
- Pickled jalapeños (for garnish)
- Position racks in middle and lower third of oven; preheat to 375°F.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and turkey; cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until the turkey is no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add chili powder and cumin; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add zucchini, tomatoes and broth and bring to a simmer. Partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally and maintaining a simmer, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat both sides of each tortilla with cooking spray. Cut them in half, then cut each half into 1-inch strips. Spread the strips on 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Bake, rotating the pans from top to bottom and stirring halfway through, until crisp, about 25 minutes.
- Mash 1 cup beans in a bowl. After the chili has simmered for 30 minutes, stir in the mashed beans and whole beans. Cook until the beans are heated through, about 3 minutes more.
- To serve, place about 3/4 cup tortilla strips in each of 8 shallow bowls. Ladle about 1 1/4 cups chili on top. Garnish with cheese, tomato, lettuce, scallions and pickled jalapeños (if desired).
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the chili (Steps 2 & 4) for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 447 calories; 17 g fat (7 g sat, 4 g mono); 58 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 29 g protein; 13 g fiber; 735 mg sodium; 1067 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (82% daily value), Vitamin C (40% dv), Calcium (37% dv), Iron (33% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Magnesium (27% dv), Folate (23% dv), Zinc (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- January/February 2012
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)