Frisée Salad with Cherries & Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Sweet cherries, earthy blue cheese and salty prosciutto balance each bite in this healthy side salad recipe. If you can’t find frisée, curly endive is a good alternative.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 2 cups sweet cherries, pitted and halved, divided
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups torn frisée or curly endive
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto and cook, turning once or twice, until crispy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Break each slice into 3 “crisps.”
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 cup cherries, vinegar, shallot, tarragon, sugar and salt in a blender; puree until smooth.
- Toss frisée (or endive) in a large bowl with the remaining cherries and the dressing. Divide the salad among 6 plates. Top each salad with a scant 1 tablespoon blue cheese and 2 prosciutto crisps.
Per serving: 144 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (31% daily value), Folate (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2014