Frisée Salad with Cherries & Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Sweet cherries, earthy blue cheese and salty prosciutto balance each bite in this healthy side salad recipe. If you can’t find frisée, curly endive is a good alternative.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 2 cups sweet cherries, pitted and halved, divided
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups torn frisée or curly endive
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto and cook, turning once or twice, until crispy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Break each slice into 3 “crisps.”
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 cup cherries, vinegar, shallot, tarragon, sugar and salt in a blender; puree until smooth.
- Toss frisée (or endive) in a large bowl with the remaining cherries and the dressing. Divide the salad among 6 plates. Top each salad with a scant 1 tablespoon blue cheese and 2 prosciutto crisps.
Per serving: 144 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (31% daily value), Folate (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- May/June 2014