Frisée Salad with Cherries & Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Sweet cherries, earthy blue cheese and salty prosciutto balance each bite in this healthy side salad recipe. If you can’t find frisée, curly endive is a good alternative.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 2 cups sweet cherries, pitted and halved, divided
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups torn frisée or curly endive
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto and cook, turning once or twice, until crispy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Break each slice into 3 “crisps.”
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 cup cherries, vinegar, shallot, tarragon, sugar and salt in a blender; puree until smooth.
- Toss frisée (or endive) in a large bowl with the remaining cherries and the dressing. Divide the salad among 6 plates. Top each salad with a scant 1 tablespoon blue cheese and 2 prosciutto crisps.
Per serving: 144 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (31% daily value), Folate (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2014