Frisée Salad with Cherries & Blue Cheese
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
Sweet cherries, earthy blue cheese and salty prosciutto balance each bite in this healthy side salad recipe. If you can’t find frisée, curly endive is a good alternative.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 4 thin slices prosciutto
- 2 cups sweet cherries, pitted and halved, divided
- 2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 8 cups torn frisée or curly endive
- 1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add prosciutto and cook, turning once or twice, until crispy, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Break each slice into 3 “crisps.”
- Place the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, 1/2 cup cherries, vinegar, shallot, tarragon, sugar and salt in a blender; puree until smooth.
- Toss frisée (or endive) in a large bowl with the remaining cherries and the dressing. Divide the salad among 6 plates. Top each salad with a scant 1 tablespoon blue cheese and 2 prosciutto crisps.
Per serving: 144 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g total sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 423 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (31% daily value), Folate (25% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- May/June 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)