Fried Green Tomatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 1998
The perfect way to use up those lingering green tomatoes.
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine cornmeal, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal.
- Brush 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over the bottom of a 12-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat until very hot (see Tip).
- Add half the tomato slices to the skillet in a single layer and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn slices over and transfer skillet to oven. Bake tomatoes for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden and tender. Transfer to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining tomato slices. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- If you have two ovenproof skillets, cook all the tomatoes at the same time.
Per serving: 83 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 399 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1998