Fried Green Tomatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 1998
The perfect way to use up those lingering green tomatoes.
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine cornmeal, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal.
- Brush 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over the bottom of a 12-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat until very hot (see Tip).
- Add half the tomato slices to the skillet in a single layer and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn slices over and transfer skillet to oven. Bake tomatoes for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden and tender. Transfer to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining tomato slices. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- If you have two ovenproof skillets, cook all the tomatoes at the same time.
Per serving: 83 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 399 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1998