Fried Green Tomatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 1998
The perfect way to use up those lingering green tomatoes.
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine cornmeal, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal.
- Brush 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over the bottom of a 12-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat until very hot (see Tip).
- Add half the tomato slices to the skillet in a single layer and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn slices over and transfer skillet to oven. Bake tomatoes for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden and tender. Transfer to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining tomato slices. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- If you have two ovenproof skillets, cook all the tomatoes at the same time.
Per serving: 83 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 399 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1998