Fried Green Tomatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 1998
The perfect way to use up those lingering green tomatoes.
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium green tomatoes, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine cornmeal, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Dredge tomato slices in cornmeal.
- Brush 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over the bottom of a 12-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat until very hot (see Tip).
- Add half the tomato slices to the skillet in a single layer and cook until browned on one side, about 3 minutes. Turn slices over and transfer skillet to oven. Bake tomatoes for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden and tender. Transfer to a platter and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Wipe out skillet and repeat with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and remaining tomato slices. Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- If you have two ovenproof skillets, cook all the tomatoes at the same time.
Per serving: 83 calories; 3 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 2 g fiber; 399 mg sodium; 186 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1998