Fresh Tuna Souvlaki
From EatingWell: July/August 1996
Lemon, garlic and oregano infuse this marinade with lots of authentic Greek flavor. Make it a meal: Serve with Cucumber-Yogurt Salad and warm whole-wheat pita.
- 20-24 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds tuna steak, trimmed of skin and any dark portions, cut into 1 1/4 inch cubes
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Cover bay leaves with water in a bowl; let soak for 30 minutes.
- Mash garlic with salt with the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in lemon juice, wine, oregano, oil and pepper. Measure out 3 tablespoons and reserve for basting. Place tuna in a shallow glass dish and pour the remaining marinade over it, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes, turning often.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill.
- Thread the marinated tuna onto skewers, placing a soaked bay leaf between each piece of fish. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the souvlaki, covered, turning several times and basting the browned sides with the reserved marinade, until the tuna is opaque in the center, 8 to 12 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 4 skewers
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 243 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 43 g protein; 0 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 839 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (94% daily value), Magnesium & Potassium (24% dv).
Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1996