Fresh Tuna Souvlaki
From EatingWell: July/August 1996
Lemon, garlic and oregano infuse this marinade with lots of authentic Greek flavor. Make it a meal: Serve with Cucumber-Yogurt Salad and warm whole-wheat pita.
- 20-24 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds tuna steak, trimmed of skin and any dark portions, cut into 1 1/4 inch cubes
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Cover bay leaves with water in a bowl; let soak for 30 minutes.
- Mash garlic with salt with the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in lemon juice, wine, oregano, oil and pepper. Measure out 3 tablespoons and reserve for basting. Place tuna in a shallow glass dish and pour the remaining marinade over it, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes, turning often.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill.
- Thread the marinated tuna onto skewers, placing a soaked bay leaf between each piece of fish. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the souvlaki, covered, turning several times and basting the browned sides with the reserved marinade, until the tuna is opaque in the center, 8 to 12 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 4 skewers
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 243 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 43 g protein; 0 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 839 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (94% daily value), Magnesium & Potassium (24% dv).
Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1996