Fresh Tuna Souvlaki
From EatingWell: July/August 1996
Lemon, garlic and oregano infuse this marinade with lots of authentic Greek flavor. Make it a meal: Serve with Cucumber-Yogurt Salad and warm whole-wheat pita.
- 20-24 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds tuna steak, trimmed of skin and any dark portions, cut into 1 1/4 inch cubes
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Cover bay leaves with water in a bowl; let soak for 30 minutes.
- Mash garlic with salt with the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in lemon juice, wine, oregano, oil and pepper. Measure out 3 tablespoons and reserve for basting. Place tuna in a shallow glass dish and pour the remaining marinade over it, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes, turning often.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill.
- Thread the marinated tuna onto skewers, placing a soaked bay leaf between each piece of fish. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the souvlaki, covered, turning several times and basting the browned sides with the reserved marinade, until the tuna is opaque in the center, 8 to 12 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 4 skewers
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 243 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 43 g protein; 0 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 839 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (94% daily value), Magnesium & Potassium (24% dv).
Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1996