Fresh Tuna Souvlaki
From EatingWell: July/August 1996
Lemon, garlic and oregano infuse this marinade with lots of authentic Greek flavor. Make it a meal: Serve with Cucumber-Yogurt Salad and warm whole-wheat pita.
- 20-24 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, or 1 1/2 teaspoons dried
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 pounds tuna steak, trimmed of skin and any dark portions, cut into 1 1/4 inch cubes
- Lemon wedges for garnish
- Cover bay leaves with water in a bowl; let soak for 30 minutes.
- Mash garlic with salt with the side of a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in lemon juice, wine, oregano, oil and pepper. Measure out 3 tablespoons and reserve for basting. Place tuna in a shallow glass dish and pour the remaining marinade over it, turning to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes, turning often.
- Meanwhile, preheat grill.
- Thread the marinated tuna onto skewers, placing a soaked bay leaf between each piece of fish. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the souvlaki, covered, turning several times and basting the browned sides with the reserved marinade, until the tuna is opaque in the center, 8 to 12 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 4 skewers
- To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 243 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 43 g protein; 0 g fiber; 207 mg sodium; 839 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (94% daily value), Magnesium & Potassium (24% dv).
Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1996