Fresh Tuna Salad with Tropical Fruits
From EatingWell: Spring 2003
Colorful tropical fruit contrasts with slightly bitter salad greens and fresh tuna steak to make a refreshing main-dish salad. Good-quality tuna is key to the success of this recipe. The secret to buying fresh fish is to ask to smell it: the tuna should smell briny, clean and fresh, like the ocean on a spring morning, not like the tidal flats on a hot summer afternoon. Do not use fresh pineapple juice, which has an enzyme that "cooks" the fish as it marinates.
- 3 tablespoons frozen pineapple juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound tuna steak, (about 1 inch thick) (see Note)
- Pineapple-Mint Vinaigrette, (recipe follows)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
- 1 small head radicchio, cored and shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 ripe mango, (about 12 ounces), peeled, pitted and sliced
- 2 kiwis, peeled and cut into 8 pieces each
- Whisk pineapple juice concentrate, water, soy sauce, honey and pepper in a small bowl. Place tuna steak in a shallow pan. Pour the marinade over the tuna; turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 45 minutes, turning twice.
- Meanwhile, make Pineapple-Mint Vinaigrette.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tuna; cook until browned and just opaque in the center, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer tuna to a cutting board; let stand for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine greens, radicchio, mango and kiwis in a large bowl. Pour on 1/3 cup of the vinaigrette and toss to coat. Divide salad among 4 plates.
- Cut tuna into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Top each salad with tuna and drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The greens and fruit can be tossed together (without the dressing) and stored under a barely moistened paper towel in the refrigerator for up to 3 hours.
- Note: If you prefer your tuna medium-rare, as it is often served in restaurants, use sushi-grade (or sashimi) tuna, if you can find it, and cook it for about 3 minutes per side.
Per serving: 469 calories; 23 g fat (4 g sat, 14 g mono); 43 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 4 g fiber; 479 mg sodium; 927 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (140% daily value), Vitamin A (90% dv), Selenium (60% dv), Folate & Potassium (26% dv), Magnesium (23% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 4 very lean protein, 3 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Spring 2003
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)