Fresh Tomato Vinaigrette
Grating tomatoes is a terrific technique for getting body into the dressing without adding a lot of oil. Toss this summery dressing with romaine or spinach.
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley, or basil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Set a box grater over a shallow bowl. Rub the cut side of a tomato half against the coarse holes to squeeze out tomato flesh. Discard skin. Repeat with remaining tomato halves.
- Skewer garlic clove with a fork and use it to vigorously mix vinegar into the grated tomato. Still mixing, slowly drizzle in oil. Add parsley (or basil) and season with salt and pepper. Discard garlic.
Per tablespoon: 23 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 39 mg sodium; 92 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Salad dressing
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique