I approve of using saffron and like the taste; however being a vegetarian I would substitute vegetable stock which since I steam a great deal of veggies is no problem, and sodium is no problem either (who on earth would add salt to steaming water?) Plus I think dry sherry may well be tasty but (a) is not that easy to find having fallen out of fashion, sadly, and (b) adds unnecessary calories; true, not that many calories, but what with the exceptionally delicate flavour and extreme expense of the saffron why add sherry too?
Fresh Tomato Sauce with Saffron
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Try serving this saffron-infused tomato sauce over hot asparagus.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (85 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)