Fresh Tomato Sauce with Saffron
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Try serving this saffron-infused tomato sauce over hot asparagus.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered saffron, or 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 medium-large or 2 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until lightly colored, about 30 seconds. Add saffron and stir for 5 seconds more. Stir in broth and sherry and simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 5 minutes. Transfer sauce to a small bowl and set aside to cool.
- Just before serving, stir in tomatoes and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel a tomato, cut an “X” in the bottom, drop it in boiling water for a few seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and let cool briefly; the skin will peel off readily.
Per tablespoon: 14 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1996