Fresh Tomato Sauce with Saffron
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Try serving this saffron-infused tomato sauce over hot asparagus.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered saffron, or 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 medium-large or 2 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until lightly colored, about 30 seconds. Add saffron and stir for 5 seconds more. Stir in broth and sherry and simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 5 minutes. Transfer sauce to a small bowl and set aside to cool.
- Just before serving, stir in tomatoes and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel a tomato, cut an “X” in the bottom, drop it in boiling water for a few seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and let cool briefly; the skin will peel off readily.
Per tablespoon: 14 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1996