Fresh Tomato Sauce with Saffron
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Try serving this saffron-infused tomato sauce over hot asparagus.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered saffron, or 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 medium-large or 2 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until lightly colored, about 30 seconds. Add saffron and stir for 5 seconds more. Stir in broth and sherry and simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 5 minutes. Transfer sauce to a small bowl and set aside to cool.
- Just before serving, stir in tomatoes and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel a tomato, cut an “X” in the bottom, drop it in boiling water for a few seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and let cool briefly; the skin will peel off readily.
Per tablespoon: 14 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
Crock pots aren’t just for stewing big hunks of meat: you can...
Bust out of your lunch rut with our pack-and-go healthy lunch...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- March/April 1996