Fresh Tomato Sauce with Saffron
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Try serving this saffron-infused tomato sauce over hot asparagus.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered saffron, or 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 medium-large or 2 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until lightly colored, about 30 seconds. Add saffron and stir for 5 seconds more. Stir in broth and sherry and simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 5 minutes. Transfer sauce to a small bowl and set aside to cool.
- Just before serving, stir in tomatoes and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel a tomato, cut an “X” in the bottom, drop it in boiling water for a few seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and let cool briefly; the skin will peel off readily.
Per tablespoon: 14 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1996