Fresh Tomato Sauce with Saffron
From EatingWell: March/April 1996
Try serving this saffron-infused tomato sauce over hot asparagus.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon powdered saffron, or 1/2 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 medium-large or 2 small tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and stir until lightly colored, about 30 seconds. Add saffron and stir for 5 seconds more. Stir in broth and sherry and simmer until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 5 minutes. Transfer sauce to a small bowl and set aside to cool.
- Just before serving, stir in tomatoes and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel a tomato, cut an “X” in the bottom, drop it in boiling water for a few seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and let cool briefly; the skin will peel off readily.
Per tablespoon: 14 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 29 mg sodium; 38 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1996