Fresh Pomodoro Pasta, White Beans & Olives
Capture the flavor of vine-ripe tomatoes with this elegant yet ultra-quick fresh tomato sauce. Although it's an uncooked sauce, the beans are heated briefly in the olive oil and garlic just to flavor them.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta shells, tubetti, ziti or rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted (see Tip) and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until the beans are just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add tomatoes, olives, basil, salt and pepper. Stir gently to combine. To serve, divide the pasta among 4 plates and top with sauce and cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Press down on olives with the side of a heavy knife to split them open and make removing the pits easier.
Per serving: 508 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 865 mg sodium; 628 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Iron (35% dv), Folate (32% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique