Fresh Pomodoro Pasta, White Beans & Olives
Capture the flavor of vine-ripe tomatoes with this elegant yet ultra-quick fresh tomato sauce. Although it's an uncooked sauce, the beans are heated briefly in the olive oil and garlic just to flavor them.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta shells, tubetti, ziti or rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted (see Tip) and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until the beans are just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add tomatoes, olives, basil, salt and pepper. Stir gently to combine. To serve, divide the pasta among 4 plates and top with sauce and cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Press down on olives with the side of a heavy knife to split them open and make removing the pits easier.
Per serving: 508 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 865 mg sodium; 628 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Iron (35% dv), Folate (32% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique