Fresh Pomodoro Pasta, White Beans & Olives
Capture the flavor of vine-ripe tomatoes with this elegant yet ultra-quick fresh tomato sauce. Although it's an uncooked sauce, the beans are heated briefly in the olive oil and garlic just to flavor them.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta shells, tubetti, ziti or rigatoni
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, diced (about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup oil-cured black olives, pitted (see Tip) and chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Put a large pot of water on to boil. Cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until the beans are just heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add tomatoes, olives, basil, salt and pepper. Stir gently to combine. To serve, divide the pasta among 4 plates and top with sauce and cheese.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: Press down on olives with the side of a heavy knife to split them open and make removing the pits easier.
Per serving: 508 calories; 16 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 63 g carbohydrates; 16 g protein; 13 g fiber; 865 mg sodium; 628 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (60% daily value), Iron (35% dv), Folate (32% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation