Fresh Pea Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Soups like this play up the best qualities of peas, yet mask any falling-off from perfection.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 6 cups Potato-Vegetable Stock, (recipe follows)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Minced raw leek, for garnish (optional)
- Pinch nutmeg
- Barely cover peas with lightly salted water in a saucepan, add tarragon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of the peas; set aside. Continue cooking the remaining peas until very tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. 3. Puree the peas in a food processor or blender with the reserved cooking water and return the mixture to the saucepan. Add stock and reserved peas.
- Stir in buttermilk (if using) and pepper. Heat through. Garnish with a few curls of leek (if using) and a sprinkling of nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 58 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 468 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (34% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 1991