Fresh Pea Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Soups like this play up the best qualities of peas, yet mask any falling-off from perfection.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 6 cups Potato-Vegetable Stock, (recipe follows)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Minced raw leek, for garnish (optional)
- Pinch nutmeg
- Barely cover peas with lightly salted water in a saucepan, add tarragon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of the peas; set aside. Continue cooking the remaining peas until very tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. 3. Puree the peas in a food processor or blender with the reserved cooking water and return the mixture to the saucepan. Add stock and reserved peas.
- Stir in buttermilk (if using) and pepper. Heat through. Garnish with a few curls of leek (if using) and a sprinkling of nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 58 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 468 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (34% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- May/June 1991