Fresh Pea Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Soups like this play up the best qualities of peas, yet mask any falling-off from perfection.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 6 cups Potato-Vegetable Stock, (recipe follows)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Minced raw leek, for garnish (optional)
- Pinch nutmeg
- Barely cover peas with lightly salted water in a saucepan, add tarragon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of the peas; set aside. Continue cooking the remaining peas until very tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. 3. Puree the peas in a food processor or blender with the reserved cooking water and return the mixture to the saucepan. Add stock and reserved peas.
- Stir in buttermilk (if using) and pepper. Heat through. Garnish with a few curls of leek (if using) and a sprinkling of nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 58 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 468 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (34% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 1991