Fresh Pea Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Soups like this play up the best qualities of peas, yet mask any falling-off from perfection.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 6 cups Potato-Vegetable Stock, (recipe follows)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Minced raw leek, for garnish (optional)
- Pinch nutmeg
- Barely cover peas with lightly salted water in a saucepan, add tarragon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of the peas; set aside. Continue cooking the remaining peas until very tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. 3. Puree the peas in a food processor or blender with the reserved cooking water and return the mixture to the saucepan. Add stock and reserved peas.
- Stir in buttermilk (if using) and pepper. Heat through. Garnish with a few curls of leek (if using) and a sprinkling of nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 58 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 468 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (34% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 1991