Fresh Pea Soup
From EatingWell: May/June 1991
Soups like this play up the best qualities of peas, yet mask any falling-off from perfection.
- 2 1/2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 6 cups Potato-Vegetable Stock, (recipe follows)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Minced raw leek, for garnish (optional)
- Pinch nutmeg
- Barely cover peas with lightly salted water in a saucepan, add tarragon and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 2 to 5 minutes.
- Remove 1 cup of the peas; set aside. Continue cooking the remaining peas until very tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water. 3. Puree the peas in a food processor or blender with the reserved cooking water and return the mixture to the saucepan. Add stock and reserved peas.
- Stir in buttermilk (if using) and pepper. Heat through. Garnish with a few curls of leek (if using) and a sprinkling of nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 58 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 3 g fiber; 468 mg sodium; 69 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (34% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 1991