Fresh Apple Squares
From EatingWell: October 1998
You'll love how simple these apple squares are to make. The dough does double-duty as the crust and streusel topping. Try them topped with cinnamon ice cream.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tart medium apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 9-inch square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine flour, oats, brown sugar, lemon zest, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl. Work in oil and apple juice concentrate with your fingers until coarse crumbs form.
- Firmly press 2 cups of the oat mixture into prepared pan. Arrange apples over crust in three rows. Mix walnuts into remaining oat mixture. Sprinkle walnut mixture evenly over apples and pat firmly into an even layer.
- Bake until top is golden brown and apples are tender when pierced with a sharp knife, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
Per serving: 159 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 98 mg sodium; 116 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- October 1998