French Toast Pudding with Winter Fruits
Crisp French toast tops a fragrant compote of apples, pears and prunes for a great breakfast treat or comforting dessert.
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 firm but ripe pear, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups pitted prunes, (1/2 pound)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 slices firm white sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sieve with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt, cover and let drain in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Combine cider, apples, pear, prunes, cinnamon stick, lemon zest and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Discard cinnamon stick and pour the fruit mixture into an 8-by-11-inch or similar 2-quart baking dish.
- Cut bread slices in half diagonally. Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Soak the bread in the egg mixture and arrange in overlapping rows on top of the fruit.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the bread. Bake until the top is crisp and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving with drained vanilla yogurt.
Per serving: 227 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit