French Toast Pudding with Winter Fruits
Crisp French toast tops a fragrant compote of apples, pears and prunes for a great breakfast treat or comforting dessert.
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 firm but ripe pear, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups pitted prunes, (1/2 pound)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 slices firm white sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sieve with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt, cover and let drain in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Combine cider, apples, pear, prunes, cinnamon stick, lemon zest and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Discard cinnamon stick and pour the fruit mixture into an 8-by-11-inch or similar 2-quart baking dish.
- Cut bread slices in half diagonally. Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Soak the bread in the egg mixture and arrange in overlapping rows on top of the fruit.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the bread. Bake until the top is crisp and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving with drained vanilla yogurt.
Per serving: 227 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)