French Toast Pudding with Winter Fruits
Crisp French toast tops a fragrant compote of apples, pears and prunes for a great breakfast treat or comforting dessert.
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 firm but ripe pear, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups pitted prunes, (1/2 pound)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 slices firm white sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sieve with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt, cover and let drain in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Combine cider, apples, pear, prunes, cinnamon stick, lemon zest and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Discard cinnamon stick and pour the fruit mixture into an 8-by-11-inch or similar 2-quart baking dish.
- Cut bread slices in half diagonally. Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Soak the bread in the egg mixture and arrange in overlapping rows on top of the fruit.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the bread. Bake until the top is crisp and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving with drained vanilla yogurt.
Per serving: 227 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique