French Toast Pudding with Winter Fruits
Crisp French toast tops a fragrant compote of apples, pears and prunes for a great breakfast treat or comforting dessert.
- 1 cup nonfat vanilla yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 firm but ripe pear, peeled and sliced
- 1 1/2 cups pitted prunes, (1/2 pound)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 10 slices firm white sandwich bread, crusts trimmed
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a sieve with cheesecloth or a coffee filter and set it over a bowl. Spoon in yogurt, cover and let drain in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Combine cider, apples, pear, prunes, cinnamon stick, lemon zest and lemon juice in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Discard cinnamon stick and pour the fruit mixture into an 8-by-11-inch or similar 2-quart baking dish.
- Cut bread slices in half diagonally. Whisk eggs, milk and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Soak the bread in the egg mixture and arrange in overlapping rows on top of the fruit.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the bread. Bake until the top is crisp and golden, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving with drained vanilla yogurt.
Per serving: 227 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 55 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 383 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (16% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit