French Silk Pie
Bittersweet chocolate and Dutch-process cocoa meld with a shot of fresh brewed coffee to give an ultra-rich flavor to this creamy French silk pie. A frothy meringue is the secret to lightening the brown sugar-sweetened filling.
- 30 chocolate wafers, (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 8 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dried egg whites, (see Ingredient Note), reconstituted according to package directions
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare crust: Combine chocolate wafers and dates in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add water and oil and process until moistened. Press into the bottom and sides of the prepared pan.
- Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling & garnish: Combine coffee and water in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top and set aside to soften.
- Whisk egg, milk, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and cocoa in a small saucepan until smooth. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not let the mixture come to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Add the reserved gelatin mixture; stir until dissolved. Add chocolate and vanilla, stirring until melted. Set aside to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Beat reconstituted egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until frothy. Increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 5 tablespoons brown sugar, beating until the meringue is smooth and glossy.
- Whisk one-fourth of the meringue into the cooled chocolate mixture until smooth. Scrape the chocolate mixture into the remaining meringue and fold in with a whisk. Spoon the filling into the crust and chill, uncovered, until set, about 3 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. | Equipment: 9-inch deep-dish pie pan
- Tip: Many commercial cookies and wafers contain partially hydrogenated oil, a source of trans-fatty acids. Look for brands made without these oils, such as Newman's Own Organics and Mi-Del, which fortunately are every bit as tasty. Find them in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets.
- Ingredient Note: Dried egg whites are pasteurized—a wise choice when making meringue toppings that may not reach 160°F (the temperature at which eggs are considered "safe"). You'll find them in the baking or natural-foods section of most supermarkets. Reconstitute according to package directions.
Per serving: 172 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 88 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
Crock pots aren’t just for stewing big hunks of meat: you can...
Bust out of your lunch rut with our pack-and-go healthy lunch...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique