French Silk Pie
Bittersweet chocolate and Dutch-process cocoa meld with a shot of fresh brewed coffee to give an ultra-rich flavor to this creamy French silk pie. A frothy meringue is the secret to lightening the brown sugar-sweetened filling.
- 30 chocolate wafers, (see Tip)
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 8 tablespoons packed light brown sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch-process
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons dried egg whites, (see Ingredient Note), reconstituted according to package directions
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare crust: Combine chocolate wafers and dates in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add water and oil and process until moistened. Press into the bottom and sides of the prepared pan.
- Bake until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling & garnish: Combine coffee and water in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top and set aside to soften.
- Whisk egg, milk, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and cocoa in a small saucepan until smooth. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not let the mixture come to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Add the reserved gelatin mixture; stir until dissolved. Add chocolate and vanilla, stirring until melted. Set aside to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Beat reconstituted egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until frothy. Increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 5 tablespoons brown sugar, beating until the meringue is smooth and glossy.
- Whisk one-fourth of the meringue into the cooled chocolate mixture until smooth. Scrape the chocolate mixture into the remaining meringue and fold in with a whisk. Spoon the filling into the crust and chill, uncovered, until set, about 3 hours.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. | Equipment: 9-inch deep-dish pie pan
- Tip: Many commercial cookies and wafers contain partially hydrogenated oil, a source of trans-fatty acids. Look for brands made without these oils, such as Newman's Own Organics and Mi-Del, which fortunately are every bit as tasty. Find them in the natural-foods section of large supermarkets.
- Ingredient Note: Dried egg whites are pasteurized—a wise choice when making meringue toppings that may not reach 160°F (the temperature at which eggs are considered "safe"). You'll find them in the baking or natural-foods section of most supermarkets. Reconstitute according to package directions.
Per serving: 172 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 88 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique