French Onion Beef Tenderloin for Two
From EatingWell: November/December 2010
We took the comforting flavors of French onion soup and turned them into an easy bistro-style steak dinner. Tender filet mignon gets smothered with sweet caramelized onions and topped by a crispy, Swiss cheese-covered crostini. Serve with green beans and smashed potatoes with buttermilk and chives.
- 8 ounces beef tenderloin (filet mignon) or sirloin steak, 1-1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed and cut into 2 steaks
- 1/4 teaspoon minced dried onion
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons dry sherry (see Note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 slices whole-grain baguette (1/2 inch thick), toasted
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- Sprinkle steaks with dried onion, 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat 11/2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the steaks and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, turning once, until desired doneness, 3 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer the steaks to a plate and tent with foil.
- Position a rack in upper third of oven. Preheat broiler.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add onion and sherry, cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender and golden brown and the liquid has evaporated, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the onion and stir to coat. Add broth, thyme and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt; cook until bubbling and thickened, about 1 minute more.
- Remove from the heat and return the steaks and any accumulated juice to the pan. Pile up some of the onions on top of the steaks. Top each steak with a slice of baguette and some cheese. Transfer the pan to the oven and broil until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 2 minutes. Serve the steaks with the onions and sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. “Cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets can be high in sodium. Instead, get dry sherry that’s sold with other fortified wines at your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 376 calories; 18 g fat (5 g sat, 8 g mono); 80 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 533 mg sodium; 574 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (35% daily value), Calcium & Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- November/December 2010
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)