Fragrant Shredded Beef Stew
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
This stew has a simple list of ingredients, but plenty of great flavor thanks to flank steak, a cut that's known for its excellent meaty flavor. The flank is also known for its long grainy, and sometimes tough texture. In this stew the texture is a great asset—the meat shreds apart into tasty strips after it's cooked in the slow cooker.
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds flank steak, trimmed of fat, each steak cut into thirds
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapenos
- 10 corn tortillas, heated (see Tip)
- Combine broth, vinegar, celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add beef, submerging it by tucking the vegetables under, over and between the pieces.
- Put the lid on and cook on low until the meat is fork-tender, about 8 hours.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board; let stand for 10 minutes. Shred the meat with 2 forks and return it to the slow cooker. Stir in cilantro. Garnish with jalapeno and serve warm tortillas on the side.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Tip: Wrap corn tortillas in foil and bake at 300°F until steaming, about 10 minutes.
Per serving: 224 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 3 g fiber; 416 mg sodium; 415 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Zinc (33% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- February/March 2006