Fragrant Shredded Beef Stew
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
This stew has a simple list of ingredients, but plenty of great flavor thanks to flank steak, a cut that's known for its excellent meaty flavor. The flank is also known for its long grainy, and sometimes tough texture. In this stew the texture is a great asset—the meat shreds apart into tasty strips after it's cooked in the slow cooker.
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds flank steak, trimmed of fat, each steak cut into thirds
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapenos
- 10 corn tortillas, heated (see Tip)
- Combine broth, vinegar, celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add beef, submerging it by tucking the vegetables under, over and between the pieces.
- Put the lid on and cook on low until the meat is fork-tender, about 8 hours.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board; let stand for 10 minutes. Shred the meat with 2 forks and return it to the slow cooker. Stir in cilantro. Garnish with jalapeno and serve warm tortillas on the side.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Tip: Wrap corn tortillas in foil and bake at 300°F until steaming, about 10 minutes.
Per serving: 224 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 3 g fiber; 416 mg sodium; 415 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Zinc (33% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Super Bowl
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- February/March 2006