Fragrant Shredded Beef Stew
From EatingWell: February/March 2006
This stew has a simple list of ingredients, but plenty of great flavor thanks to flank steak, a cut that's known for its excellent meaty flavor. The flank is also known for its long grainy, and sometimes tough texture. In this stew the texture is a great asset—the meat shreds apart into tasty strips after it's cooked in the slow cooker.
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 pounds flank steak, trimmed of fat, each steak cut into thirds
- 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pickled jalapenos
- 10 corn tortillas, heated (see Tip)
- Combine broth, vinegar, celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper in a 6-quart slow cooker. Add beef, submerging it by tucking the vegetables under, over and between the pieces.
- Put the lid on and cook on low until the meat is fork-tender, about 8 hours.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board; let stand for 10 minutes. Shred the meat with 2 forks and return it to the slow cooker. Stir in cilantro. Garnish with jalapeno and serve warm tortillas on the side.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
- Tip: Wrap corn tortillas in foil and bake at 300°F until steaming, about 10 minutes.
- For easy cleanup, try a slow-cooker liner. These heat-resistant, disposable liners fit neatly inside the insert and help prevent food from sticking to the bottom and sides of your slow cooker.
Per serving: 224 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 3 g fiber; 416 mg sodium; 415 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (100% daily value), Zinc (33% dv), Iron & Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Super Bowl
- February/March 2006