Fragrant Chickpea Stew
When time is of the essence, this hearty stew makes a quick meal. It has a complex, almost beefy flavor that develops when the onion and garlic are cooked until dark brown. Accompany with steamed rice or whole-wheat flatbreads (chapatis).
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 5 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, ground (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 cup water
- 1 red potato, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 19-ounce or 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook cumin seeds for 10 seconds. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until dark brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add coriander; cook, stirring, for 20 seconds. Stir in water, potato, chickpeas, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the potato is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add tomato, increase heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Ingredient Note: Coriander seeds are tiny and yellowish brown; they are produced when cilantro is allowed to seed. They smell slightly citric. Their flavor does not resemble, in any way, that of cilantro.
Per serving: 255 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 703 mg sodium; 461 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% dv), Fiber (33% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Folate (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 very lean protein, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient