Fragrant Chickpea Stew
When time is of the essence, this hearty stew makes a quick meal. It has a complex, almost beefy flavor that develops when the onion and garlic are cooked until dark brown. Accompany with steamed rice or whole-wheat flatbreads (chapatis).
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 medium red onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 5 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, ground (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 cup water
- 1 red potato, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 19-ounce or 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1 medium tomato, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat; cook cumin seeds for 10 seconds. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until dark brown, 5 to 8 minutes. Add coriander; cook, stirring, for 20 seconds. Stir in water, potato, chickpeas, salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the potato is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add tomato, increase heat to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 1 to 2 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Ingredient Note: Coriander seeds are tiny and yellowish brown; they are produced when cilantro is allowed to seed. They smell slightly citric. Their flavor does not resemble, in any way, that of cilantro.
Per serving: 255 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 8 g fiber; 703 mg sodium; 461 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% dv), Fiber (33% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Folate (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 very lean protein, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient