Fontina with Pears & Walnuts
There is a joyous interplay of tastes and textures in this very easy dessert. The idea is to eat a slice of pear with a slice of cheese on a piece of wheat cracker with a nibble of walnut. Serve a glass of your favorite port alongside to heighten the experience.
- 4 ounces Italian fontina cheese
- 4 ripe Comice or Red Bartlett pears
- Whole-wheat crackers
- Thinly slice fontina. Set a pear, a few slices of cheese and a few walnuts on each of 4 dessert plates. Pass crackers separately and serve a glass of port alongside, if desired.
Per serving: 308 calories; 17 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 33 mg cholesterol; 38 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 7 g fiber; 334 mg sodium; 299 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (30% daily value), Fiber (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)