Flourless Chocolate Torte
From EatingWell: April 1998
A treasured family recipe for Passover chocolate-apple torte, updated to be lower in fat and still incredibly rich-tasting.
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated peeled apple, preferably Delicious
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine matzo meal and walnuts in a food processor; process until nuts are finely chopped. Spread on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk eggs, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Stir in the matzo mixture, apple, cocoa and chocolate.
- Beat egg whites and salt in large, clean bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Stir one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter. Gently fold in remaining whites with a rubber spatula. Scrape the batter into an ungreased 9-inch springform pan, spreading evenly. Tap pan lightly on counter to release air bubbles.
- Bake torte until top springs back when touched lightly and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. With a knife, loosen edges of torte. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. (Torte will sink in center.)
- Remove pan sides and place torte on a serving platter. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Per serving: 261 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 129 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- April 1998
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique