Flourless Chocolate Torte
From EatingWell: April 1998
A treasured family recipe for Passover chocolate-apple torte, updated to be lower in fat and still incredibly rich-tasting.
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated peeled apple, preferably Delicious
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine matzo meal and walnuts in a food processor; process until nuts are finely chopped. Spread on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk eggs, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Stir in the matzo mixture, apple, cocoa and chocolate.
- Beat egg whites and salt in large, clean bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Stir one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter. Gently fold in remaining whites with a rubber spatula. Scrape the batter into an ungreased 9-inch springform pan, spreading evenly. Tap pan lightly on counter to release air bubbles.
- Bake torte until top springs back when touched lightly and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. With a knife, loosen edges of torte. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. (Torte will sink in center.)
- Remove pan sides and place torte on a serving platter. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Per serving: 261 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 129 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- April 1998
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique