Flourless Chocolate Torte
From EatingWell: April 1998
A treasured family recipe for Passover chocolate-apple torte, updated to be lower in fat and still incredibly rich-tasting.
- 1/2 cup matzo meal
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated peeled apple, preferably Delicious
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounces bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 8 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine matzo meal and walnuts in a food processor; process until nuts are finely chopped. Spread on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk eggs, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until blended. Stir in the matzo mixture, apple, cocoa and chocolate.
- Beat egg whites and salt in large, clean bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed until frothy. Increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Add remaining 1/2 cup sugar 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating until glossy and stiff peaks form.
- Stir one-quarter of the beaten whites into the batter. Gently fold in remaining whites with a rubber spatula. Scrape the batter into an ungreased 9-inch springform pan, spreading evenly. Tap pan lightly on counter to release air bubbles.
- Bake torte until top springs back when touched lightly and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. With a knife, loosen edges of torte. Let cool in pan on a wire rack. (Torte will sink in center.)
- Remove pan sides and place torte on a serving platter. Dust with confectioners' sugar and serve.
Per serving: 261 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 47 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 2 g fiber; 220 mg sodium; 129 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- April 1998