Flounder with Spinach & Walnut Stuffing
Spinach and walnuts are a quick and tasty filling for delicate flounder fillets. Chopped tomatoes strewn over the top make a pretty garnish. Make it a meal: Serve with Garlicky Green Beans and bulgur.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for preparing baking dish
- 1 10-ounce package fresh spinach, stemmed and washed or 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 small Pacific flounder fillets (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 2 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Preheat over to 375°F. Lightly coat an 8-by-11-inch baking dish with oil or coat with cooking spray.
- If using fresh spinach, coarsely chop and shake in a colander to remove excess water. If using frozen spinach, squeeze it dry.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add walnuts and stir until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. If using fresh spinach, add to the pan, in batches if necessary, and toss until just wilted, about 2 minutes. If using frozen spinach, add and toss until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the spinach mixture over one half of each flounder fillet. Fold the other half over. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the stuffed fillets to the prepared baking dish and scatter tomatoes over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake until the fish is opaque in the center, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per serving: 222 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 2 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 1099 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (139% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (40% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Iron (15% dv), Magnesium (29% dv), Selenium (81% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 41/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Main Ingredient