Flounder with Spinach & Walnut Stuffing
Spinach and walnuts are a quick and tasty filling for delicate flounder fillets. Chopped tomatoes strewn over the top make a pretty garnish. Make it a meal: Serve with Garlicky Green Beans and bulgur.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for preparing baking dish
- 1 10-ounce package fresh spinach, stemmed and washed or 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 small Pacific flounder fillets (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 2 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Preheat over to 375°F. Lightly coat an 8-by-11-inch baking dish with oil or coat with cooking spray.
- If using fresh spinach, coarsely chop and shake in a colander to remove excess water. If using frozen spinach, squeeze it dry.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add walnuts and stir until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. If using fresh spinach, add to the pan, in batches if necessary, and toss until just wilted, about 2 minutes. If using frozen spinach, add and toss until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the spinach mixture over one half of each flounder fillet. Fold the other half over. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the stuffed fillets to the prepared baking dish and scatter tomatoes over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake until the fish is opaque in the center, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per serving: 222 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 2 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 1099 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (139% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (40% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Iron (15% dv), Magnesium (29% dv), Selenium (81% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 41/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation