Flounder with Spinach & Walnut Stuffing
Spinach and walnuts are a quick and tasty filling for delicate flounder fillets. Chopped tomatoes strewn over the top make a pretty garnish. Make it a meal: Serve with Garlicky Green Beans and bulgur.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for preparing baking dish
- 1 10-ounce package fresh spinach, stemmed and washed or 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 small Pacific flounder fillets (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 2 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Preheat over to 375°F. Lightly coat an 8-by-11-inch baking dish with oil or coat with cooking spray.
- If using fresh spinach, coarsely chop and shake in a colander to remove excess water. If using frozen spinach, squeeze it dry.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add walnuts and stir until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. If using fresh spinach, add to the pan, in batches if necessary, and toss until just wilted, about 2 minutes. If using frozen spinach, add and toss until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the spinach mixture over one half of each flounder fillet. Fold the other half over. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the stuffed fillets to the prepared baking dish and scatter tomatoes over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake until the fish is opaque in the center, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per serving: 222 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 2 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 1099 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (139% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (40% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Iron (15% dv), Magnesium (29% dv), Selenium (81% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 41/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient