Flounder with Spinach & Walnut Stuffing
Spinach and walnuts are a quick and tasty filling for delicate flounder fillets. Chopped tomatoes strewn over the top make a pretty garnish. Make it a meal: Serve with Garlicky Green Beans and bulgur.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for preparing baking dish
- 1 10-ounce package fresh spinach, stemmed and washed or 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 small Pacific flounder fillets (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
- 2 fresh plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- Preheat over to 375°F. Lightly coat an 8-by-11-inch baking dish with oil or coat with cooking spray.
- If using fresh spinach, coarsely chop and shake in a colander to remove excess water. If using frozen spinach, squeeze it dry.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add walnuts and stir until lightly toasted, about 1 minute. If using fresh spinach, add to the pan, in batches if necessary, and toss until just wilted, about 2 minutes. If using frozen spinach, add and toss until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of the spinach mixture over one half of each flounder fillet. Fold the other half over. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the stuffed fillets to the prepared baking dish and scatter tomatoes over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake until the fish is opaque in the center, 15 to 20 minutes.
Per serving: 222 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 82 mg cholesterol; 4 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 2 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 1099 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (139% daily value), Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (40% dv), Potassium (31% dv), Iron (15% dv), Magnesium (29% dv), Selenium (81% dv).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 41/2 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Main Ingredient