Flounder with Parsley & Caper Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1993
Here we serve poached flounder with a tangy parsley-and-caper sauce. Make it a meal: Roasted new potatoes and Sauteed Green Beans and Cherry Tomatoes are lovely accompaniments.
Parsley & Caper Sauce
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons capers, rinsed and chopped
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fine dry unseasoned breadcrumbs
Flounder & Poaching Liquid
- 2 quarts water
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 1 carrot, scrubbed and halved
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 bay leaf
- 5-6 black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 Pacific flounder fillets (1 1/2 pounds total)
- To make sauce: Heat oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Add parsley, capers, sherry, lemon juice and breadcrumbs. Stir over low heat until the mixture has a sauce-like consistency. If too thick, thin with up to 1 tablespoon warm water. Season with salt, if desired.
- To cook flounder: Combine water, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, peppercorns and salt in a large sauté pan or wide saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil for 20 minutes. Remove and discard the vegetables, peppercorns and bay leaf with a slotted spoon. Reduce heat to low, add flounder and simmer gently for 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand until the fish is opaque, about 5 minutes.
- Lift the fish from the pan with a slotted spoon, draining well. Arrange the fish on a warm serving platter and top with the parsley-caper sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 1) for up to 8 hours. Reheat before serving.
Per serving: 179 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 54 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 22 g protein; 0 g fiber; 406 mg sodium; 443 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (53% daily value).
Exchanges: 1 1/2 fat, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1993