The flavors of Italy are best expressed in simplicity: a dash of spices, a little oil and dinner's on the table in minutes—especially if you use frozen spinach and frozen ravioli or tortellini.
- 1 20-ounce package frozen cheese ravioli, or tortellini (4 cups)
- 6 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 16-ounce bag frozen chopped or whole-leaf spinach
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; cook ravioli (or tortellini) according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add salt, crushed red pepper to taste, spinach and water. Cook, stirring frequently, until the spinach has thawed, wilted and heated through, 5 to 7 minutes. Divide among 4 bowls, top with the pasta and drizzle 1 teaspoon of the remaining oil over each portion. Serve immediately with a sprinkle of Parmesan.
Per serving: 263 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 5 g fiber; 660 mg sodium; 730 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (270% daily value), Vitamin C (50% dv), Folate (44% dv), Calcium (35% dv), Potassium (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique