Florentine Lasagna Roll-Ups
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Think portion control with these individual lasagna roll-ups. Leftovers are great for lunch the next day.
- 16 lasagna noodles, preferably whole-wheat
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat milk
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 16-ounce container low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 16-ounce package frozen cut-leaf spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a pot of salted water on to boil. Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cook half the lasagna noodles in boiling water until tender, about 8 minutes. With tongs or a slotted spoon, transfer the noodles to a large bowl of cold water. Repeat with the remaining noodles. Drain and arrange the noodles in a single layer on clean kitchen towels. Cover with plastic wrap to keep from drying out. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Set aside 1/4 cup of the onion mixture. Add flour to the onion mixture remaining in saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk and return to a simmer; cook, whisking, until thickened to the consistency of heavy cream, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper. Spoon 1/2 cup of the sauce into bottom of the prepared baking dish. Set aside.
- Process cottage cheese in a food processor until smooth. Add the reserved 1/4 cup onion mixture, spinach and mozzarella; pulse until finely chopped. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add egg and pulse until blended.
- Spread about 3 tablespoons spinach mixture over 1 noodle. Roll up firmly and place seam-down in the prepared pan. Repeat with the remaining noodles and spinach mixture. Spoon the remaining sauce evenly over roll-ups and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake roll-ups, uncovered, until bubbling and golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 5. The roll-ups will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 329 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 38 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 9 g fiber; 424 mg sodium; 500 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (138% daily value), Calcium (28% dv), Vitamin C (26% dv), Folate (21% dv), Selenium (18% dv), Iron (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)